Thursday, February 25, 2010

Snowdrops...

A short lull in the arrival of plants for the garden ended with the arrival of some 'in the green' snowdrops, which have now been planted along the bank. The idea is that they (and the bluebells when they arrive) will come through the snow-in-summer when it gets established as ground cover on the bank. With luck there will be foxgloves , euphorbia and knautia in due course too. Maybe some vinca if the snow-in-summer doesn't provide dense enough ground cover to keep the grass at bay. I will be glad when the weather warms up a bit and working in the garden doesn't involve creating mud and freezing fingers! It's too cold to contemplate making the arbour yet, which is frustrating.

So far everything that has gone in is still alive, as far as one can tell given that some of it is dormant. The only casualty was the 'Red Baron' ornamental grass which looked pretty dead when it arrived through the post.

The fluffy little cinnamon-coloured cat from one of the neighbouring houses (we have dubbed her Peaches for some unknown reason) has become my companion when I am gardening - she hears I am there and comes crashing through the hedge to keep me company. Actually, she is quite a hindrance, as she wanders around silently and appears behind me just as I am stepping back off the bank, which is rather hazardous to both of us! Fortunately she isn't digging anything up, but I'm afraid she is an efficient hunter (of mice, anyway) and I am concerned for the safety of my growing bird population, especially if they have babies in the spring.

Must get on and prepare the raised beds, especially the top one which needs to be ready for when the asparagus arrives!

1 comment:

  1. Snowdrops are wonderful and a 'must' for me in any garden. Ours here have been late this year and are still looking good - normally by early March I'd be fretting that I hadn't got round to dividing them up !

    If you've only lost one plant you're doing incredibly well. I was surveying the extensive frost damage in Nell and Chris's garden a few days ago - it included a fairly mature ceanothus.

    ReplyDelete