Saturday, February 6, 2010

She wheeled her wheelbarrow...

Well, that's most of the budget spent! Yesterday I went to Blackwood Garden Centre and bought some very large pots for the roses and the dwarf buddleia, and also ordered industrial quantities of topsoil, John Innes Nos 2 and 3, peat free compost, and bark chippings - they are all to be delivered some time next week. Many thanks to Tony for the generous discount! There was also a catalogue with a lovely pedestal sundial which Matthew and I both fancied - a possibility for later this year maybe, if I haven't entirely blown the budget...I then came home and stripped a whole lot of brambles from the back boundary, and cut back some of the suckers which have come up from the trees in the plot that we back onto - I decided not to cut them all down as they do provide some privacy in the summer, if and when a solid fence is put in I can re-think that. The grass is very poor along that boundary, because of the overhanging trees, so if the suckers do eventually go it is going to mean either digging a border or else re-turfing. In any event, that's a problem for another year! I also marked out where I think I want the trees, and have moved them into position in their pots so that I can see if they are in the 'right' places.

And today I braved B&Q in Caerphilly (which was mercifully deserted as everyone was watching the rugby at Twickenham!) and bought a nice little border spade which is manageably small and light for me (I can't lift a full size spade, on account of the dodgy shoulder, let alone acually dig with it!) and a wheelbarrow (which will be needed when the topsoil etc is delivered as it will all need to be trundled down the path beside the house to the veg plot at the back).

The spade has now been inaugurated as I promptly went and planted the dogwoods which have been sat in temporary pots on the patio. The soil is pretty heavy and sticky - I think Matthew is not going to enjoy digging the holes for the trees:( and my shoulder is protesting somewhat. I am ever more convinced that raised beds are the way forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment